Sunday, September 29, 2013

Thinker or Doer?

I would say that I am more of a thinker than a doer in most aspects of my life. Similarly to Hamlet, I prefer to consider every possibility and every possible consequence of my actions. When I have a decision to make it takes me a very long time to make up my mind. I often have to ask for other opinions also before making very major decisions. Since  Hamlet is a thinker and not much of a doer, it must be difficult for him to have to make the decision of whether to kill his uncle or not without consulting anyone first.  In some cases this can be a good thing, but in other situations it can be negative.

Thinking before acting can be positive because it hinders any rash decisions that could have poor end results. By thinking things out and considering consequences it is less likely that I will make a major mistake. Another reason why being a thinker is positive is that I am usual happier with my final decision than I would have been with a spur of the moment decision. For example, when going shopping I am usually more happy with the purchases I make after thinking about whether I really want the item or not than I am when I quickly decide to buy something without considering whether I need it or will use it.

Although their are positive sides to being a thinker, their are also many negative aspects. For example many times I will put things off because I am thinking about them off so long instead of actually doing them. This happens often with projects and homework. One particular assignment that I put off for a very long time but was constantly thinking about was my college essay. I thought about my essay for months, when in reality it would have been easier to have just sat down and done it and see what idea I came up with along the way.

In my opinion,  I think that it is important to be a doer and to be spontaneous in some cases but in other cases be careful and think things through. Whether one is a thinker or a doer the most important thing is to have good judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment